terptree: terptree thrilled to have been chosen as an #SBS winner by Theo Paphitis

Search This Blog

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

terptree thrilled to have been chosen as an #SBS winner by Theo Paphitis

terptree are delighted to have been chosen by Theo Paphitis in a competition run every Sunday called #SBS - Small Business Sunday, when he picks his favourite 6 to re-tweet to all of his followers.


Theo is best known for appearing on Dragons Den on BBC Two. He is Chairman of Ryman Stationary plus Boux Avenue lingerie and Robert Dyas, as well as joint owner of Red Letter Days.

What an exicting time for terptree - seeing as it is also Deaf Awareness Week and with our new look terptree and website about to be launched, it gives us great exposure at such a pivotal time in the business!

Here is what terptree Director, Victoria Williams had to say "On finding out that we had been chosen for #SBS by Theo Paphitis, we were thrilled that the work we do within the Deaf and interpreting communities had been recognised and also looking forward to enjoying the fabulous opportunities that this recognition will bring!  Thank you Theo and SBS!"

A bit about Victoria:


I started learning British Sign Language when I was 14 and my cousin was diagnosed as profoundly Deaf.  The moment I started signing and became involved in the Deaf community - I knew that I wanted to work with languages and with people.  Initially I had considered spoken language interpreting, but upon completing my first year of University in German and Applied Linguistics, I realised that my place in the world was within the Deaf community.

I left University and pursued my dream landing a job at the British Deaf Association as a Receptionist.  What a wonderful opportunity.  It enabled me to learn more about the Deaf community, the services that were on offer and what the gaps were.  
From there I went on to work as a Information and Support Worker in a small London based charity alongside training as a British Sign Language/English Interpreter and completed and graduated from my Post Grad in BSL/English Interpreting from University of Central Lancashire in 2005.

After registering as a Registered Sign Language Interpreter (RSLI) and working for a year, I had a strong feeling that there was more that I could offer to the community and decided to set-up a business providing interpreting services and additional services in order to support the Deaf community - from this feeling, terptree was born.

Established in September 2006, terptree is now a household name when it comes to BSL/English Interpreting and are growing organically based on acquiring new business and recommendations from happy customers.  
2013 is an exciting year for terptree, with new technology, branding and website on the way as well as many more exciting things to come....

More about me......I have a fantastic husband and two wonderful children and enjoy travelling and learning about different cultures and finding out about people.  I have many Deaf friends, and play an active role in promoting Deaf awareness within my local community.

Part of being chosen as an #SBS winner, is being asked your top business tips:

Victoria's top business tips:
Make sure that you still focus on things that you dislike - for me it is finance, so I remain acutely aware of that at all times and put more emphasis on that part of the business.

Start some excellent systems and when they change make the amendments - this will not only ensure consistent high levels of customer service, but also make it easier to induct new members of staff into your team.

Ensure that you involve all of your team in the business so that they are clear on the future and what that means for them and the team - when you have that buy in, it is much easier to move forward united.

Do sales and marketing regularly - don't let it fall by the wayside when you are busy, as this will need to fuel the times that you are quiet.

No comments: