terptree: Guest Blog - What Is Glastonbury Like For A Deaf Person?

Search This Blog

Thursday, 18 August 2016

Guest Blog - What Is Glastonbury Like For A Deaf Person?

Hello, my name is Paul and I would like to talk about Glastonbury Festival .I see it as a musical annual pilgrimage.





People have asked me what is so special about Glastonbury especially that it is a primarily a music festival when I have hearing difficulties. All I can say you have to experience it yourself to realise how great Glastonbury is no matter what kind of person you are.

There is a reason why many other festivals in this day and age with the current financial climate have difficulty selling out their tickets. Glastonbury is the only exception where it is immensely popular selling out more than 125,000 tickets online in less than half hour without announcing their line ups.

The atmosphere is exceptional and incredible offering the chance to meet so many like-minded people in the space of 5 days. There are so many things to see and do and trying to achieve with so little time. Glastonbury has such a unique atmosphere that it is impossible to match anywhere else in the world.

My Best ever gig was Pulp at the year 2010 when the band was announced at one of the smaller stages during a Saturday afternoon. I found out at a bar talking to a random person. I immediately texted deafzone who are responsible for allocating BSL Interpreter at the festival. I rushed to the stage meeting up the interpreter quickly. So soon afterward the stage was full to capacity even many famous people including Kate Moss couldn’t get in. Pulp gave an amazing performance and the interpreter was spot on as luckily she was a big fan of Pulp. I was so impressed with the Interpreter including the crowd, the end of the show many people has gave positive feedback to the interpreter even that a journalist from the Guardian wanted to have an Interview with her.

An Remarkable occurrence this year 2016, I made an interpreter booking to see L├ąpsley as I consider myself as a fan, the show itself was great and afterwards I found out the two interpreters had bumped into the artist much later in the day and said they interpreted her performance. She was really overwhelmed that a Deaf person wanted to see her and made her day and she also commented that her auntie is Deaf as well. I consider a bit of a magical experience for everyone.


I would highly recommend to any deaf people who are considering going to a music festival. You don’t have to be a fan of music to go to Glastonbury. It is a common notion that you can go to Glastonbury for five days and go without seeing any bands; you can still have a wonderful time. There is Circus, Cabaret, Politic discussions, Poetry, Craft Making, Spa Sessions, Massages, Tea shops, Cafes, Art Installations and you can partake in salsa dance lessons .

The most important thing I would advise to a first comer is to get the correct footwear. Festival goers will spend 90% of time on foot. My motto is ‘Happy Feet – Happy Mind’ It doesn’t matter whether or not to bring wellingtons or waterproof boots as long you feel comfortable in. Personally I prefer walking boots as welligntons gives me terrible blisters.

Yes it is true that tickets are extremely hard to get and get harder to obtain every year. I would advise you to get helpful hints and tips getting Glastonbury tickets at DeafZone Facebook page or you can email me - hpaul1@hotmail.com



Hope you Enjoyed reading my blog

Thanks

Paul Hull

No comments: